How President Mahama Continues to Rescue Ghana Even in Opposition
Over the past few weeks, we have seen the importance of investing in infrastructure particularly in the Ghanaian health sector, championed by the immediate past President H. E. John Dramani Mahama. The former President’s investment never made so much sense as a social intervention even during the 2016 campaign than during this outbreak of Coronavirus in Ghana.
Until the outbreak of Coronavirus in Ghana, some people thought JM’s massive infrastructure drive were just Photoshop in the NDC’s GREEN book, others thought Ambulance were more important to building Hospitals while others including our current Vice President said the infrastructure investment are not social intervention.
Today, not only has Covid-19 pandemic forced the running or operationalization of some these infrastructure investment by the former President John Mahama, but these investments have proven to be the most important social intervention. How would the situation of Ghana have been without;
- Body temperature devices at Kotoka International Airport which was used during the outbreak to check temperatures of persons arriving at the airport some few weeks ago.
- Ridge Hospital, which serves as Isolation and treatment centre of Covid-19 patients.
- The Bank Hospital for isolation and treatments of infected VIP persons (ministers and other appointees)
- The University of Ghana Hospital for Isolation and treatment of infected persons
- Stabilization fund ($388million) for medical material and for the provision of stimulus packages for frontline healthy workers
- Stable Electricity supply (Ameri, Kar power etc) to sustainable countrymen during this lockdown
- Energy Sector Levy Act issue to resolve energy sector debts due to banks and trade creditors, to enhance sustainable and constant supply of Electricity
- Aayalolo buses to transport health workers.
- Dodowa hospital as standby hospital for the worse scenario
- ONUADO mobile-clinic vans for testing Covid-19 infection.
- Continuous support to hospitals, frontline health workers and other individuals in the fight against Covid-19 by the former President even in opposition.
- The availability of Affordable housing units which could serves as quarantine centres for suspended covid-19 persons under mandatory quarantine period of 14 days.
This COVID-19 pandemic has exposed President Akufo-Addo’s weak leadership and the lack of commitment in leading the fight against coronavirus which has led to the infection of some health workers and strikes.
However, I was so proud to finally hear our President Nana Akufo-Addo adopting and implementing the meaningful suggestions from the former President and the Leader of the NDC H. E. John Dramani Mahama which seek to alleviate the burdens of citizens during this partial lockdown. I firmly believe together we have ideals to build a society based on social justice and equality.
FATAWU ABUBAKAR SADIQUE
ASHANTI REGIONAL TEIN COORDINATOR